My Blog List

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

We make sure we have enough :-)


In his observation essay, “A Man in the Woods” (2010), Andrew White focuses on the man that lives in a small town northwest of Atlanta known as Bankhead. This town is very poor in a lot of areas to the point where there are groups of men that camp out in hut in the woods all season long, Andrew and his sister Becca travel out to this town occasionally to supply the men with food and water. In order to have the readers get the feel of exactly how bad the group of men struggle living in the wood, Andrew painted the picture by asking many questions and describing the scenery, Enclosing his hut were massive piles of trash bags and boxes, old garbage he kept to burn when he ran out of wood. Andrew established a relationship with his audience by stating he never had to deal with a situation because heat given to a home by a furnace never sheltered them from the bitter cold they were entangled in.” (38)

Overall I enjoyed reading White’s observational essay of the man in the wood because it helped me focus and be grateful for the same things that are given to me in life such as; shelter, food, and water. It reminded me of the time when I drive through downtown Atlanta and would see many homeless scattered all through the city looking for vary places to lay their head. It enlighten me the James, unlike many over homeless who are grouchy homeless, seemed to smile even when he is shivering. He was always friendly regardless of what circumstances he was placed in and man the best out of the situation he was in. Reading this changed my view of homeless people and help me understand their point of view of life.

By: Marlene. B 

No comments:

Post a Comment